Monday, October 10, 2005



The night before Thanksgiving Day, I finally acquired a toy I should have had a long time ago - my own sewing machine! Oh well, as you can probably tell, it's a bit vintage. I've been searching the net for what year the White model was actually manufactured, to no avail - my guess is between the '30's and 50's as based on the following information in the company website:

Toward the end of the '30s, White brought to the market the first sewing machine that was not the traditional black. Manufactured of magnesium alloy, this lightweight, full-size sewing machine featured a green cast plus a built-in sewing light. This portable new machine known as the "Featherweight" was only 18 pounds and remains popular within today's sewing market. Also of significance during the depression era was the organization of a second subsidiary in 1929 when White Sewing Machine Products Limited was established in Canada.

Yep, my machine is single stitch, of light green cast with a nice built-in sewing light. And nope, on the contrary I find it heavy, especially the metallic (what seems like wrought iron) base.

Last night, my sister brought the toy which apparently has been collecting dust in her place for years now - the machine being an unsolicited hand me down from a friend. I guess the timing of my acquisition of this tool is very significant - Thanksgiving Day. I really thank the Lord for tuning in my mainstream of thoughts to His will that our journey through time be filled with "joie de vivre" as we manifest in full what He has created us to be.

Sis and I had a good laugh when she noticed I was pedalling the electric steady foot presser like a treadle of a manually operated sewing machine. Well, what can I say? My brain was still programmed to operate our old machine from childhood years (yes the one that I used to scare my brothers with - with great success, ha ha - as I gave them the notion that it was pedalling on its own).

I sure am on my way to pursuing my passion in design and first step is to learn basic sewing!

Welcome home, sewing machine!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

wow tita...ang galing!

lam mo ako din sinasabi ko kay mom na paayos nya na yung sewing machine sa bahay. i kinda like doing this stuff too. tita, someday, lets build our own fashion house/ wedding thingie business... Ü

12:24 AM  
Blogger Cris said...

BTW tita, can i add your link in your blog or are you still hiding from your stalker? hehe

one more thing, have you checked my flickr photos? Ü

6:50 AM  
Blogger cacofonix said...

ei gurl,

sige sabihin mo sa mommy mo ipaayos na ang makina, it won't cost that much. that way you can use it for any sewing project you might fancy working on in your spare time. for now, pagbutihin mo ang photography mo coz you've got real talent for it too! pwede naman tayong maging multi-skilled in many areas - look at Leonardo da Vinci and many more.

Sige, let's look forward to having a one stop fashion/design house someday.....we can all pull our talents...

Yeah, I checked your flickr photos, ang gleng gleng...! lahi talaga tayo ng mga artists! it's strong in the blood...:)

8:40 AM  
Blogger cacofonix said...

sige, you can add me as your link, although tago pa rin ako sa stalkers...:).

8:41 AM  
Blogger Cris said...

sige wag na muna kita add for now. balita ko pala si other tita there in canada has a computer na din! will she also start blogging? :-P

12:04 PM  
Blogger cacofonix said...

ehehehehe, although your tita claims to be a technocrat comparable to none - blogging at this point is way beyond her typing skills...:).

12:57 PM  
Blogger Cris said...

ganun ba? ehehehe

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger