The miracle of singing birds...
Ever heard a large choir of trushes (or so it seemed) sing in the middle of a concrete jungle? I was overwhelmed by the sound of it one time when one rainy day, while emerging from a cobblestone alley of Old York Lane in Yorkville (a quaint enclave in the heart of Toronto), I looked up and saw every branch of this tree lined up with brown-colored birds, melodiously singing their hearts out - as if to celebrate a time of refreshing, of being trapped in the joys of togetherness, of looking forward to the wonderful promises of the journey up ahead, and of the many other perks of flying and living only a bird could know.


If you listen to the thrush and hear a thrush, you've not really heard the thrush. But if you listen to a thrush and hear a miracle, then you've heard the thrush - a Zen parable.
At that moment, God's intrinsic throughtfulness in each of His creation dawned on me; and finally, I heard the miracle sonnet of the trush.
In my lifetime, I've cried buckets of tears enough to replenish the basin of the Dead Sea if ever it was to be depleted - from failed dreams (adventures in faith through youth missions work, law degree in Harvard, UN or UNICEF amabassadorship and a zillion other reach for the sky aspirations), of being prematurely yanked from dear family and friends; I've swam through the depths of bottom-of-the-sea kind of loneliness, rafted through tempestous waves of uncertainty and confusion, grappled to find my way through frequent dark nights of the soul, even warred to hold my mental faculties together.
Yet, believe it or not, right in the midst of each passing storm in my life, I've always been able to sing songs of victory and celebration. To the skeptic it is ludicrous, to the believer it is veritable - deep within me stands a fortress of strength that surrounds the everflowing fountain of life, the Holy Spirit.

He created the miracle of singing birds in the midst of storms.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Great is Thy faithfullness.
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.
Summer and winter and spring time and harvest,
Sun moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold withness
To Thy greatfulness mercy and love.
-Sang during my parent's Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration in 2005 -
Jesus said: "Lo I am with always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20.


If you listen to the thrush and hear a thrush, you've not really heard the thrush. But if you listen to a thrush and hear a miracle, then you've heard the thrush - a Zen parable.
At that moment, God's intrinsic throughtfulness in each of His creation dawned on me; and finally, I heard the miracle sonnet of the trush.
In my lifetime, I've cried buckets of tears enough to replenish the basin of the Dead Sea if ever it was to be depleted - from failed dreams (adventures in faith through youth missions work, law degree in Harvard, UN or UNICEF amabassadorship and a zillion other reach for the sky aspirations), of being prematurely yanked from dear family and friends; I've swam through the depths of bottom-of-the-sea kind of loneliness, rafted through tempestous waves of uncertainty and confusion, grappled to find my way through frequent dark nights of the soul, even warred to hold my mental faculties together.
Yet, believe it or not, right in the midst of each passing storm in my life, I've always been able to sing songs of victory and celebration. To the skeptic it is ludicrous, to the believer it is veritable - deep within me stands a fortress of strength that surrounds the everflowing fountain of life, the Holy Spirit.

He created the miracle of singing birds in the midst of storms.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Great is Thy faithfullness.
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.
Summer and winter and spring time and harvest,
Sun moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold withness
To Thy greatfulness mercy and love.
-Sang during my parent's Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration in 2005 -
Jesus said: "Lo I am with always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home