Ang Kinumos na Mustasa ni Lalu...

Ewan ko ba kung bakit kanina sa trabaho I suddenly had a craving for Kinumos na Mustasa which triggered memories of when I was a kid and would watch my maternal grandmother mash mustard greens in vinegar and salt (or fish bagoong) until the leaves look sodden, having been thoroughly juiced out. The craving and memory were enough to make me rush to Whole Foods Store right after work to search for the greens. You can just imagine my delight when I found fresh huge bundles of the vegetable in the Fresh Produce section, afterall I never had the aperitif in my entire stay in Canada and did not think the somewhat exotic greens would be readily available. After quickly grabbing a small box of organic bite-sized brownies for dessert, I hurried home.
Hay kasarap, I made halo slices of onion shallots (Sibuyas na Tagalog), tomatoes, apple cider vinegar and himalayan crystal salt with the mustasa. Tapos I deep fried bangus in cocunut oil hanggang super lutong ito while boiling brown rice in cocunut milk. Grabe, I was eating my dinner while walking down memory lane. This type of meal won't be as good if you don't use your hands while eating (Pinoy style); and each time a portion of the Kinumos na Mustasa finds its way to my watery mouth, memories of my Lalu preparing the appetizer would come flashing in my mind.
I miss my Lalu, her traditional and delectable cooking, her penchant for drinking beer after dinner each night, her authentic Kundiman songs, the smell of her freshly starched garments, her sweet peculiar smile and her subdued caring ways. My Lalu went through a lot, having been widowed two times at a young age; yet she weathered the storms and responsibilities of life with bamboo-like resilience. I think I got my inclination for merchandizing from her. My Lalu supported her five kids and an adopted niece by being a tobacco and garments dealer as well as a Tindahan owner, and augmented her income from Kopra dealership (she owned a few hectares of Cocunut plantation which she later on divided amongst her kids). She'll be 97 this year and I thank God that He is sustaining her with good health and happiness.
I wish by God's grace to see and talk to my Lalu again soon, with her in the peak of health inspite of her age. Each time I took a bite of the Kinumos na Mustasa at dinner, I felt as if I was hugging my Lalu all over again.
Sigh, food and memories occasionally go hand in hand and when they do, the soul gets its nourishment as well...

5 Comments:
ei ate-tulipya! sarap food mo a, pahingi.. anong mustasa sa english? ganyan ba niluluto noon ng lalu mo? naalala ko pa si lalu, alala mo nung teens pa tayo?! hay, those were the days.. regards din sa lalu mo ha! May God bless her & her health!
don't worry about the product, will get rid of it. just got confused with the products, i'll tell you pano nangyari next time, thanks :)
mustard greens sa english ang mustasa bads. oo favorite appetizer yan ng Lalu ko, pati kami nahawa na rin kse lagi siyang gumagawa niyan. thanks for your kind thoughts.
ok get rid of the product ASAP and look for a better one.
Hurray for Lalu! Okay mga Lola no. At her age, I'm sure naabutan pa nya panahon ng giyera noon. Grabe dinaanan nila. Compared sa kanila, my life is just a walk in the park. Subukan ko nga yan frying in coconut oil. Pwede pala. Ay, my cinnamon pala ako, mccormick, nadampot sa grocery :)
Oo yoya, dalwang giyera pa naabutan ni Lalu, first and second...:). Grabe talaga dinaanan nila, tapos tayo konting tinik, hiyaw agad at nagcocomplain na inabanduna ni Lord...:). Teka, bangus ang ipafry mo ha, wak yung mustasa. Kumusin mo lang sa apple cider vinegar yung mustasa , dagdagan ng asin tapos budburan ng sliced sibuyas na tagalog at mapulang kamatis. buti't nakabili ka na ng cinnamon, sana naman magbunga yan...:)
Oo yoya, dalwang giyera pa naabutan ni Lalu, first and second...:). Grabe talaga dinaanan nila, tapos tayo konting tinik, hiyaw agad at nagcocomplain na inabanduna ni Lord...:). Teka, bangus ang ipafry mo ha, wak yung mustasa. Kumusin mo lang sa apple cider vinegar yung mustasa , dagdagan ng asin tapos budburan ng sliced sibuyas na tagalog at mapulang kamatis. buti't nakabili ka na ng cinnamon, sana naman magbunga yan...:)
Post a Comment
<< Home